Sunday, April 25, 2010

Experiment: Storytime!

So, it seems like a common theme that quite a few people are trying their hands at writing a story! Last time I gave this a shot was in eighth grade when my teacher assigned it, then failed me for not liking my story, so I've been scared of writing since then. But, perhaps it's time to try again?

It was a dark and stormy night, so terrible that it seemed that the world was ending...

Yeah, I know. cliche. But then again, who doesn't like the end of the world? :D

Ahem, *scared of writing*, let me start over.

---------------------------------------------

Contrary to popular belief, it was not dark and stormy outside, even though Skys stood hidden deep in his underground laboratory, tinkering with the final circuits of his time machine. It was actually a bright and sunny spring afternoon, the sky was clear, the breeze refreshing, the flowers blooming, the air clear. Skys hid underground not because he was a mad scientist, but because he is allergic to pollen from the blooming flowers. :D

Skys poked a few numbers into his calculator and smiled. "Okay. According to my calculations, this looks good! It should work as soon as I connect this." Skys glanced to the desk next to him, where a glass case held a strange glowing cylindrical tube not unlike the vapor lamps he had used in chemistry classes.

Suddenly, he whirled around as he heard a voice behind him.

"Hey, what's up? Why weren't you at school today?"

It was his friend. "Don't SCARE me like that!!! How'd you get in here?"

"Haha, I figured you'd be hiding down here. Your little contraption is going so well that you skipped school today?"

"Yeah," Skys replied. "Within 10 minutes, school's not gonna matter at all anymore," he smirked.

"So, you finally are getting that thing to work after all these years, huh?"

"Yup! I'll show ya. As soon as I connect that electroneutronplasmaenergyvapor lamp to the flash circuit, tinker with the settings a little, and charge the power up, we can be travelling along the fourth dimension! You wanna come with me?"

______ thought about it for a second. "Sure."


---------------------------------------------

So, next, I guess the next thing people do when they write a story is say, "so who wants to be in the story i dont want to use your name without your permission because im afraid you might sue me even though this is the internet and i technically can do anything i want on the internet but let me know if you want to be in the story ok."

But I'm not gonna say that. Like the title says, this story is an experiment. *evil cackle*





Remember the Rio post? Bubba the Turtle? And remember how that worked?

It wasn't one person writing a story. It was everybody. Each person wrote a few lines of the story, then the next person would write, then the next person.

SOOOO....I was wondering if that kind of writing might work here.

This way, I can pass the story along into the hands of more capable writers, let everyone be in the story however they want to be, AND, best of all, you guys won't have to wait until I have free time to write the next part of the story.
*(friendly) glare at feathers*

First person to comment gets to be the friend who goes into the future with me. :D

Write in the comments. You can write a few lines, a few paragraphs, or a few pages. Whatever you want to do with the story. If the experiement works and people participate, I'll periodically repost the entire story, with everyone's contributions. If the experiment fails and nobody participates or everyone hates me/the idea, then...well...nothing will happen. I'll just say that it's not a failure, I just learned one of 2000 ways not to write a blog post. :D

First though, some rules for the experiment:
1) Keep it nice, and PG. No killing people.
2) Except hannah. If she runs into some hannah-eating monster or something in the future, thats okay.

alright then...

*clicks the "publish post" button...and begins experiment.*

16 comments:

  1. me! me! ooooh choose me!

    i likes to go into future [:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm up for it. That Rio post was hilarious! Sadly, Chuck Norris's pantry still remains unorganized... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever invent anything, I'm going to call it a electroneutronplasmaenergyvapor lamp. xD
    And nice beginning, you're not a bad writer! ^_^
    I've tried writing stories with friends, it can be fun! Except when I have work. D: Sorrysorrysorrysorry! Blame teachers. *will have to stay up till 3 AM tonight*

    Also, you can use me in your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @feathers
    i'll be up till three tonight too.
    i hate french grammar.
    i hate grammar overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free to use me, my friend. I'd enjoy being a power-hungry 12th century knight who's sold his soul to the devil for a sword that can cut through stone and a nice, sharp dessert. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh! pick me!!! *raises hand, hermione granger-esque*
    let me guess. you're going to make me the evil horrible villain person in the story that everyone hates. Right? right. thought so :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw...nobody wants to participate and write the next part? I was hoping someone else would do it so I won't be tempted to make hannah the evil horrible villain person that everyone hates.

    *screams*

    SOMEONE WRITE THE NEXT PART!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, how about I try this later (writing more of it) when I'm not "getting ready for school"

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEEEEEEP! We can't kill anyone?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

    I volunteer to write one paragraph, mmkay?

    ONE. PARAGRAPH. No more. I don't do well with long stories. I lose my train of thought halfway through and start rambling about the pretty flower the main character's sister-in-law's great grand-uncle's cousin stopped to look at.
    Like, a nutsoid Steinbeck mixed with Smeyer.

    I suck, in short.

    So ONE. PARAGRAPH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Love the quote at the top, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I be some evil chick a la Bellatrix? xD


    @Kevin: You did not just call Steinbeck a nutsoid. *shock*

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw...ok, just for you kevin, I'll change the rule to "just don't kill me." I would sort of like to live to the end of the story. you can kill anyone else you want though. :D:D

    and rebel, of course! if you/someone else writes that in. :D:D:D

    @scadoosh: YAY!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. please don't kill me. i'm the friend that travels to the future with him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Is there anything I need?" Maria started pacing in nervousness.
    "You wil need some clothes, food and water... actualy anything you neeed to survive. We don't know what the future will be like."

    "I'll be back in an hour then." Maria turns around and walks out the door.

    Skys turns back around and keeps fiddling with his electroneutronplasmaenergyvapor lamp. Pretty soon, everything he had ever worked for would be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy? i wrote a paragraph.i might write more when im not in english class.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! someone wrote something!!! :D:D:D:D:D

    ReplyDelete