Saturday, March 27, 2010

How to face a College Rejection Letter

Feathery and I were talking the other day about colleges. Since we're both seniors, and both in California and applied to mostly the same colleges, we started comparing our acceptance/rejection letters.

(for those of you who still have a while to worry about college, you're lucky!!! It basically goes like this: If possible, finish all your SAT/ACTs by Junior year, October of your senior year should be the last time you go for the SAT. Applications begin in October, are due by the end of November, (depending on colleges, some go all the way until January,) you have the winter to chill a bit, and in mid to late March the colleges announce their decisions about your future.)

We found that we were both rejected from UC Berkeley and UCLA (UC stands for University of California, LA stands for Los Angeles.) Berkeley was my top choice, and LA was Feathery's.

After an appropriate amount of crying, we moved on to more humorous things trying to lighten things up. I found a letter online that people can send to the admissions office should they be denied admission. It goes like this:

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your letter of March 25, 2010. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me acceptance at your university.
This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.
Despite your university's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore I will begin attending your university immediately following my high school graduation. I look forward to seeing you then.
Sincerely,

skys417


Feathery responded by writing her own letter, which definitely is just as interesting!

Dear Berkeley and UCLA,

I regret to inform you I am no longer interested in attending your universities, and will be disregarding your rejection letters. I understand that you are scared by my level of education and creativity, and I do not wish to impose myself upon your university at this time. I will be attending the University of California, Sunny Days, or possibly an Ivy League college and will live happily ever after there. Thank you very much.


So I guess this is how to face a rejection letter while keeping your ego intact. Your future, however, looks just as bleak. *pfft.*

15 comments:

  1. That is epic, Squirrelly. Pure epic.

    The letters, that is.

    But you are, too, of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm scared for college applications.
    mostly because my brother is a senior too.
    and today we got a letter from the last college he had applied to.

    and it's official now. he got into EVERY college he applied to.

    which makes the expectations for me really high. and i'm really scared i won't live up to that.

    btw, feel free to hate my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I loved the letters! My professor's nephew framed his rejection letter from Harvard. :D I am sorry about that happening to you guys, though. I know that was rough. Have you heard from the other schools yet. *fingers crossed* :)

    Ugh, College admissions are a pain. I am getting ready to wrap up my first two years at a community college. (The admissions wasn't too bad. It was cheap, I was poor, and they were quite generous with financial aid. It worked nicely.) I am transfering next semester to a nice school which was my first choice, but that was a good thing, because I didn't apply to my second choice and I got ticked off at my third choice and didn't complete the process (They were horrible). If I didn't get accepted I would have been waiting awhile... In another couple of years I get to go through the whole obnoxious process all over again for grad school. Yay! (Not.)

    This is zella435, by the way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. O_O WOW Zella is aware of my existance!!! *is TOTALLY honored*

    Heh, maybe I should frame my rejection from Berkeley. But I'd have to print it out first. They don't even mail anything anymore.

    I have a couple friends planning on going to community colleges, then transferring two years later. It's not a bad plan. You collect college credit for less money and definitely less stress. Grad school is still far off for me, so I'll worry about it later. :D

    Gummy, your bro got into EVERY college?!??!?! No way!!! Not fair!!! What colleges were they?!?!? no fair...

    Actually, I didn't do that badly. I applied to 9, (no Ivys,) so the only rejections I got was from Berkeley and LA. I got into all the rest.

    And Kevin, thanks, as usual. :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sky
    yeah. every college he applied to.
    so many expectations... *collapses under expectations.*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I was mentioned in a blog post! Of a blog I didn't even knew existed! ^_^ But I do now, yay Squirrely has a blog!
    I had no hope of being accepted to every college I applied to, as most of them were under 20% acceptance rates, those are really iffy, there's not a person in the world that can be 100% confident on getting in to one of the ivys.
    Still waiting for a couple, but to be honest I think I would have ended up going to SD anyway even if I were accepted to all of them, it's an awesome school. x) Nothings final though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents are really pushing me towards Davis because it's closer...I still think SD is a better school, but when my parents want something it's REALLY hard to say no to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep parents do that, don't they. :D They really want their kids to stay close to home. My dad didn't even fake sadness when I told him I was rejected from Berkeley, he goes "THANK GOODNESS!" -_- Completely serious.
    Lol, I guess it's nice, staying near family and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sky! Coffinmaker here.
    Nice blog. Very...creative name...
    ;)
    If you get accepted to UCSD, call me and we'll PARTAY! ('cause I'm nearby.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, feathers, my parents did the same about LA!!! :D

    And hey there Scott! I already have been accepted to SD. Now it's decision time to decide which college I want to go to. (tough choices...)

    And thankss! I thought for a very long time about what I wanted to name my blog, it was also a tough choice. *pfft* If you have any better ideas, please tell me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Coffinmaker you're near SD too? Awesome! SD FTW! :D
    And Sky, I've just got another rejection letter. After applying to 9 colleges with acceptances less than 20%, I should have seen this coming. :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. @feathery: oh, I'm sorry...what college is it?

    how many are you still waiting for?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rock on, Skwirl! This post is hilarious--let me know if they respond (as if)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I say that this is really depressing, yet really funny? Thank you. I'm definitely saving this rejection rejection letter, because I have the feeling I might need it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol! don't actually send it to any colleges though! you'll end up on their blacklist or something!

    ReplyDelete